Saturday, June 29, 2013

Guilty Pleasure


"Tightrope" by the SoCal VoCals

So for the past 2 days I have been bored out of my mind.

I feel you brother.
So out of boredom I decided to watch General Hospital with my mother.

Yes you heard me correctly. General Hospital.
OKOKOKAAAY! I know what you're thinking

image
Because I had nothing better to do!
Boredom can lead to some horrible decision making.

Really, why General Hospital. I have a laptop with Netflix. Why did I choose the soap opera?!?

I honestly don't know. 

Anyways, I chose the song because everyone is on a tightrope all the time. The plotlines are all so... ridiculous. Also, there is always someone in the damn hospital. Also, all of the characters are developed to be compulsive liars and love to keep secrets. The characters who don't keep secrets are usually forced into keeping secrets and other characters are just plain crazy. They also CONSTANTLY RECYCLE THE PLOTLINES. My mother has been watching since forever so she knows when they recycle. Degrassi is the same with the recycling bit. Every character is so dumb. Also every episode is a cliffhangar. 

Soap Operas are just a series of melodramatic conversations about confusing plotlines. Then somebody gets shot or pregnant or whatever and has to go to the same damn General Hospital.

image
Not all too amusing, I know.
Soap Operas are so overly complex because THERE IS NEVER A RESOLUTION TO ANY CONFLICTS WHATSOEVER. IT IS JUST CONSTANT RISING ACTION. AND EVEN WHEN THERE IS A CLIMAX THERE IS NO FALLING ACTION NO! IT JUST KEEPS GOING UP! UP! UP! and NOBODY HAS THE INTELLIGENCE TO idunno umm... maybe SOLVE THEIR FREAKING ISSUES BY SHOWING A SHRED OF COMMON FREAKING SENSE!
image
It's so damn frustrating
Please allow me to explain my frustration.

So where should I start. Hmm... I'll start with the teen conflict.

So homeboy has got a girlfriend. Homeboy and his girl go through a breakup. Homeboy's homosexual friend's little sister is in town and starts getting friendly with homeboy. Homeboy decides to take little sister to prom. Homegirl is already taking someone else. But she wants to get back with homeboy. So she apologizes but little sister is all like "no he's MA MAN now!" So prom is cancelled because homeboy's foster dad attempted to kill some crazy rich serial killer dude who was deliberately taken from jail to be killed by the mob, and supposedly accidentally shot the ex-ex wife of his boss. But his boss's current wife actually went and lied because mafia man called it off and current wife called it back on by saying "hubby is ok with it". She wanted crazy rich guy killed because he kidnapped her children and almost killed them or whatever. So imagine the shock when she finds out her son is living in the crazy man's house with the crazy man because the crazy man is her son's girlfriend's father and he lost his money for his apartment gambling. Her other son is macking on his brother's girlfriend. Even after learning they are first cousins. 

See. It never ends. Everyone is so stupid and melodramatic. It's a train wreck, you can't bring yourself to watch but you can't really look away either.

Everything is dragged out way tooo long as well.

My mom once waited TWENTY YEARS for a marriage. 

Think about it.

TWENTY YEARS

THAT'S LIKE A QUARTER OF A LIFETIME. 

WHY SO DAMN LONG?!?!?

image
I'll end the post here before my head explodes.
I guess the one good thing about Soap Operas is that they reflect humanity: inevitably flawed, but still attempting to use good judgement. Ok, some of the characters TRY to do the right thing but do the wrong thing EVERY FREAKING TIME. Humanity isn't ALWAYS wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment