Saturday, July 20, 2013

Hmm... I want to find my character trope


"Tricky Tricky" by Royksopp

This will be tricky because I might embody different tropes at different times...

I like the idea of trope analysis because if I do find the right trope, I just have to copy and paste it from Tvtropes.org. And then compare and contrast which might not even be needed because the tropes go so in depth.

The tricky part is finding the trope.

I'm analyzing myself because if I'm going to have more trope analyses on here I might as well start with myself.

I might fit into a ton of tropes.

But if that's the case I will just put them up and explain how they apply in different parts of my life so far.

You may or may not learn something new about me, either way, I feel it's a cool way to give the reader a picture of who I am as opposed to a picture of all the situations I get in.

An interesting change of focus indeed.

All righty then! Let's copy and paste some tropes about my character!

Some of my friends consider me to be this:

    The Archmage
"The Champion of Kirkwall was an archmage without peer, a god among mortal men."*
— VarricDragon Age II


Be it a Wizard ClassicEccentric MentorEvil Sorcerer, even a bratty Child Mage, the Archmage is the apex of Magical Learning and/or power to the point of being practically a demigod (or more) in the world they are portrayed in, able to create miracles as if a minor but annoying chore, discover a world-shaking truth, or even brawl with The Devil himself.
The term "Archmage" (also called Archmagi or Archmagus) is a neologism strung together from the Greek word arch'e, meaning "first", and "magus", a reference specifically to the astronomer-astrologers of ancient Persia. As an analogy, the Archmage is to a normal wizard as the Surgeon General is to a resident physician.
An Archmage character, in the grand scheme of most fantasy stories, is either given their title via their country, becoming the head of that region's magical study and schooling, or even by the majority of magicians in the world, to the point of being the ruler of a Magocracy. Sometimes it's even a divinely given title. If the local god of magic says you're the best and/or the chosen one, you're pretty much set to become an Archmage without being threatened by the same church that said-god rules over; hell, it's more likely that the church will become supporters and/or followers in bringing their new leader to the sought-after position of power.
Granted, not all Archmages are centered within society, and certainly not all are good. An Archmage could very well become isolated from the world within a massive tower fortress in hope of quiet study in creating the flux capacitor they need for a time machine. Also, the Archmage is not restricted to humans or even the dominant race of the society in question; in fantasy, the Archmage could be a freakin' owl that can castMeteor and Doom spells.
Generally speaking, most Archmages are depicted as old and wise wizards, but sometimes characters become Archmages without even being called one, simply by being the only magician (or one of the only magicians) in the world, maybe even because said world doesn't have such a title as Archmage. Nevertheless, the Archmage is intelligent and worldly in knowledge and wisdom, and is considered an epic power within the grand scheme of things.
A character need not actually bear the title "Archmage" to qualify for this trope, though many do. The defining trait is that they are recognized in-universe as representing the pinnacle of magical power.
Note: Arguably an Archmage can also be merely the leader in a specific form of magic, but this may or may not change the title to reflect the school of magic in question (e.g. Archevoker, Archabjurer, etc, etc). Also, in some cases an Archmage that becomes a sentient undead is usually considered an Archlich.

A lot of my friends think I'm magical. I don't know magic, but according to them I have many abilities that I am not even aware of. I'm always surprising them with another talent I'm not even talented at. I seem to have the power to inspire their creative energy and generate happiness. I guess that's as good as magic gets in this reality, right?

I like to pretend I'm this:
Deadpan Snarker
"Wow, sarcasm. That's original."

A character given to gnomic, sarcastic, sometimes bitter, occasionally whimsical asides.
The Deadpan Snarker exists to deflate pomposity, point out the unlikelihood of certain plans, and deliver funny lines. Typically the most cynical supporting character. In most cases, it is implied that the snarker would make a good leader, strategist, or consultant given their ability to instantly see the flaws in a constructed plan. More often than not, their innate snarkiness is the only thing preventing the other characters from comprehending this for themselves. In other cases, the Deadpan Snarker resorts to sarcasm because they're the Only Sane Man. Tends to be shot a Death Glare when they go too far.
Often deconstructed by showing that the Deadpan Snarker is actually incapable of avoiding sarcasm due to their insecurity about expressing any genuine thought or feeling. This may make them a Stepford Snarker.
While the Snarker has existed (in both fiction and Real Life) since time immemorial, its most contemporary incarnation emerged in the early 1930s with the new popularity of sound cinema and the rise of "zinger" comedy. In fact, it was in 1933 that the word "wisecrack" (the Snarker's most trusted sidearm) entered English-language dictionaries. (And, in a stroke of genius, the word "wisecrack" is itself a wisecrack, carrying the sarcastic connotation of "Oh yeah, you're a real Socrates, smart guy.")
In a Five-Man Band, he/she'll almost certainly be The Lancer.
Compare The Snark KnightLittle Miss SnarkerWeasel MascotThe Mean BritFirst-Person SmartassServile SnarkerSilent SnarkerObnoxious Snarker. See also Snark BaitNon-Action SnarkerSnarky Nonhuman SidekickCats Are SnarkersTall, Dark and SnarkySurrounded by Idiots, and Sarcastic Devotee. Sometimes overlaps with Genre Savvy and No Sense of Humor. A common role for a Straight Man. May wear Jade-Colored Glasses. If there are too many of these, you might be in a World of Snark. Expect plenty of Snark-to-Snark Combat. May result in Offing The Mouth.

I think I am so good a wise cracking. My friends often misinterpret as sass and sometimes I get sassy but normally I'm just wise cracking. You see, I don't actually believe in any of the wise cracks I come up with and I make sure of that whenever I deliver a wise crack. It's all in the delivery man. You can wise crack all you want as long as you don't actually mean it and say it in a way that makes that fact clear. I naturally ooze sarcasm... But not to the point where it becomes offensive. 

To the speech team I'm this:
Eccentric Mentor
Alas, earwax.

"Is he — a bit mad?" asked Harry uncertainly.
"Mad?" said Percy airily. "He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes."

— Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, regarding Albus Dumbledore

The Eccentric Mentor is an apparent contradiction, a sagacious figure who seems eccentric and possibly foolish; a font of power and respectability who acts like comic relief. Typically the Eccentric Mentor is an older male character, connected to the back story, who acts as a mentor, protector, and/or guide. They often feign senility and weaknesswhen it is useful to do so, and rarely take pains to avoid such an appearance if it requires effort.
When pushed, the Eccentric Mentor easily demonstrates how they have earned their status. Those who underestimated them are suddenly confronted with heroic badasserySherlock Holmes-level insight, moral fortitude in the face of death, and/or a step ahead of everyone else. Due to their age, wisdom, and conviction, they fear death far less than a loss of integrity.
Combines aspects of Cool Old GuyThe Obi-WanOld Master (sometimes), Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass,Bunny-Ears Lawyer, often Cloudcuckoolander, and Zen Survivor into one cranky, tough old biscuit. If they are an authority figure, they are The Wonka. They may fill any of a number of mentor roles, such as Trickster Mentor orReasonable Authority Figure, related to their personality and their role in the story. As such, no matter how much power they have, they want the heroes to solve the problem, is likely courtesy of the Mentor Occupational Hazard.

Sanswag and I co-captained the speech team this year. He was the sane guy. I wasn't. But I knew what I was talking about! I would always go crazy when working with the froshes. Like I would literally get a seizure when a new idea popped in my head. But hey, most of my ideas were good and most of the speech judges thought they were good too. (Minnie Mouse, who I did the most work with, qualified for states. So there is a method to my madness!)

 Put all these facts together and I think I end up as the eccentric magical variant of this:
Nice Guy

"There's nothing to hate about Marianne. She's little and friendly and she will lend you anything."

The Nice Guy (or Gal) is nice. Maybe not a saint, but definitely no unpleasant or edgy rebel. They're friendly, psychologically well-balanced, morally average (if not better) and in short, someone anyone wouldn't mind to be around and have as a friend, which is often what they are to the hero and/or his extended cast. He won't engage in Jerk Ass behaviour, but probably responds in kind to Vitriolic Best Buds.
Want to know what writers think of that? "Boring!". This is because they can be conflict null zones romantically and dramatically because of a perceived (or real) lack of depth. Along with the Happily Marriedcouple, the Nice Guy is among fiction's "favorite" Friendly Targets. They'll die senselessly to motivate their hero buddy, lose the girl to the more dynamic but unstable Dogged Nice Guy or just in general go through constant crap from the world around them.
On the other hand, If done right, it can demonstrate why a guy has beautiful women attached to him: he really is a remarkably wonderful and compassionate person. The Nice Guy can be engaging, likable or The Protagonist; all it takes is giving them a personality outside of "nice" such as: a scholarly refinementa chivalric attitude, some engaging relationships, and a pinch of Hidden Depths.
Nor does it mean being nice means they're not a badass, or an Iron Woobie. If combat intellect or combat ability are involved, it's akin to Obfuscating Stupidity orCrouching Moron, Hidden Badass because you naturally expect the darktormented loner to be a Badass and the nice guy to be a Non-Action Guy. So when it comes time for "No more Mr. Nice Guy"heads roll. On the other hand, with the All of the Other Reindeer trope in play, the nice fellow can be a redeeming factor as a person whom the beleaguered hero realizes is on his side and know he's not alone.
Often, authors go the abbreviated route and give them a Dark and Troubled Past triggered by a Berserk Button. Either way, you can expect their niceness to be in spite of whatever tragedy or drama is in their lives; kind of an equal and opposite reaction to it. If done too suddenly, it implies a level of secrecy and acting that aStepford Smiler would be jealous of. When done well, a more troubled character will rebuff their advice or friendship with "What do you know? You've never had X happen to you!" to his "I did", thus revealing healed-over scars.
Note: this trope is referring to genuine Nice Guys, not the other sort of "Nice Guy", which is more of a Bastard in Sheep's Clothing (usually with major Casanova Wannabe tendencies). Entitled to Have You is the trope for that concept. Also, if the Nice Guy has a rougher male as his Foil, they're a Sensitive Guy and Manly Man duo.
If he does get the girl, it's Single Woman Seeks Good Man. Usually, the result of Upbringing Makes the HeroYou should beware this nice guy should you press hisBerserk Button. Exact oppositions of this trope are: JerkassLack of EmpathyJerk With A Heart Of Jerk and the Complete Monster (extreme opposition).

I like to do things for people. It makes me feel good. It is difficult for me to make enemies. I have been able to do it before, but those "enemies" easily became my friends again. There are people whose actions I disapprove of: but I don't disapprove of them AS PEOPLE. Maybe that's why I'm magical?

No comments:

Post a Comment